In an effort to protect our families from the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we join with other Jewish funeral homes and follow the directive of Michigan's Governor and health professionals. Services held at our chapel will be limited to immediate family, however, may be viewed live and recorded on our website. Graveside services will also be restricted in size. We will continue to provide professional, dignified and compassionate service.
Our highest priority is the health, safety, and comfort of our families. Thank you for your understanding.
For further information see
funeral homes during Corona which will open in a separate window.
Jack Backalar, a resident of West Bloomfield, Michigan, died on March 22nd, 2020 at the age of 89. Funeral services arranged by The Dorfman Chapel.
- Location of Service:
- Date of Service:
- Wednesday March 25th, 2020
- Time of Service:
- 1:00 PM
- Interment at:
- Adat Shalom Memorial Park Cemetery, 28500 6 Mile Rd, Livonia, Michigan
See the cemetery location map
- Rabbi Daniel Schwartz
- Shiva Information:
- Due to the current Federal and State restrictions, no formal shiva will be held, though, the family will hold a memorial gathering at a later date.
- Charitable contributions:
- The Jewish War Veterans
P.O. Box 725066
Berkley, MI 48072
Phone: (248) 855-5085
or to a charity of one's choice
- Family Members:
- Beloved husband of the late Edith Backalar. Dear father of Arlene (Alan) Gildenberg and Ernie (Julie) Backalar. Loving grandfather of Elyse (Ryan) Jahnke, Eric Gildenberg, Jamie (Sam) Silverman, Jodi Backalar and Dylan Backalar. Adoring great-grandfather of Madyson Jahnke. Devoted brother of the late Mildred (the late Norman) Kramar. Also survived by many other loving family members and friends.
- Email Condolences:
- If you would like you can send a condolence message via email to the family
- View the broadcast of the service:
- A video recording of the service is available. View the service.
- Yahrzeit Schedule:
- A 10 year Yahrzeit calendar is available.
Also, you can sign-up for an
annual email reminder of the yahrzeit.
Back to top